Monday, June 15, 2015

Back to the Drawing Board

On to printed "Dummy Book" Version 3, which is saying a lot to its "Dummy Author" at present, and he is very glad.

The last couple weeks have been earth-shattering-ly (is that even a word?) eye-opening for the process of putting this book together. After valuable feedback from trusted colleagues and friends, and spending hours of mad-obsessive thought and revision...

Remember that post from a few months back saying all the drawings were finished? Well, they're close, but not quite. A few revelations of late will be causing me to re-jig a few illustrations....and on the writing side, let me just say there have been many, many changes afoot.

BUT...these changes are opening up entire worlds to me that are blowing my mind, and I think it will result in a much better book that is worthy of its audience. I shall keep you in suspense for the time being - lest I jinx myself further - but hold on to your hats...I'll let you know when it's safe. It's all part of the process.

Many thanks go out to my friends David Robinson (for his word-smithing suggestions) and Laura Thomas, who gave me lots to think about in terms of revising and editing. Check out Laura's books and workshops for young writers...you'll be glad you did.

Thanks also go out to S.D. (Sam) Smith of Story Warren, who offered me some very valuable insight for the book. This weekend in North Carolina he is hosting the annual INKWELL Conference for young writers & artists, and I really wish I could be there! But part of me is, as Sam also kindly invited me to submit a few poems for their "Story Warren Reader" publication, which will be handed out to attendees there. This makes me happy.

Stay tooned, friends...

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Ken.

    Thanks so much for the invite to see your work in progress. I'm so fascinated by the process of of creation and getting things just right! From what I've seen of the book so far, it's amazing!

    Keep up the great work, and I hope to be able to hold the finished book in my hands some day soon!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete